The Pentagon announced this week that Washington has approved the potential sale of anti-tank mine systems to Taiwan worth $180 million. The new potential sale comes amidst increased tensions in the region between the democratically-governed island and China.
The Pentagon said on Wednesday that the State Department has approved the possible sale of Volcano anti-tank mine-laying systems to Taiwan worth $180 million. The Volcano mine-laying system makes use of prepacked mine canisters that contain multiple anti-tank mines that are dispersed when ejected from the canister. Northrop Grumman and Oshkosh Corporation are the main contractors of the potential sale.
The potential sale follows the recent increased diplomatic, political, and military pressure China has sought to assert on Taiwan, which Beijing views as its territory. Tensions between the two flared earlier this year following the visit by US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to Taiwan despite China’s threats and opposition.
Beijing deployed its largest fleet of aircraft across the median line on the Taiwan Strait, which it also claims to be its territory but also serves as the de facto maritime border between China and the island nation. On Tuesday, Taipei announced that the mandatory military service would be extended from four months to one year.
The Taiwanese defense ministry said that the sale of the Volcano anti-tank mine systems would take effect in a month, and the system will help boost Taiwan’s “asymmetric warfare” capability to make its forces more agile.
“The Chinese Communist Party’s frequent military activities near Taiwan have posted severe military threats to us,” said the ministry in a statement. The United States is Taiwan’s largest supplier of arms.
Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen announced the extension of military service in Taiwan on Tuesday. In remarks after a national security meeting, Tsai said the island nation wants peace but needed to be able to defend itself.
“As long as Taiwan is strong enough, it will be the home of democracy and freedom all over the world, and it will not become a battlefield,” Tsai told a news conference following the announcement of the military service extension that she described as a decision that was “incredibly difficult.”


Trump Eyes Kim Jong Un Summit as North Korea Sets Tough Terms
Israeli Airstrikes Kill 10 Palestinians in Gaza as Ceasefire Diplomacy Stalls
EU’s Von der Leyen Condemns Israel’s E1 West Bank Settlement Plan
Prince Harry, Elton John Ordered to Pay £9.54 Million in Daily Mail Legal Costs
CK Hutchison Seeks $1.5 Billion From Panama Over Canal Ports
Russia Arrests Nine Over Alleged Ukraine-Linked Attack Plans
Trump Administration Moves to Strip ABA of Law School Accreditor Status
Trump Threatens Economic Penalties on Countries Supporting Iran
Myanmar Military Pushes to Clear Land for Russia-Backed Dawei SEZ
US Tightens Cuba Sanctions, Targets Officials and State Entities
Russia Strikes Kyiv With Drones and Airstrikes, Targets Military Facilities
UN Chief Raises Concern Over US Sanctions on ICC Officials
Guatemala Receives 2,300 Mexicans Deported From US
Ukraine Names Yevhenii Khmara Defence Minister Amid Election Row
Australia Summons Israeli Ambassador Over Gaza Aid Worker Death
US Plans ‘Toughest Sanctions in History’ on Iran, Bessent Says
South Korea Estimates North Korea Has Up to 120 Nuclear Warheads 



