The United States has expressed concerns over the sudden military activities China has been conducting close to the island nation of Taiwan. This follows the report of dozens of Chinese warplanes making an incursion into Taiwan’s airspace.
The White House National Security Council issued a statement on Monday, raising concerns about the sudden surge of military activity near the island nation which China claims as its territory. The statement comes amidst the largest incursion China has made into Taiwan, with 71 aircraft, including fighter planes and drones. The White House called the incursion “provocative” and “destabilizing.”
“We will continue to assist Taiwan in maintaining a sufficient self-defense capability in line with our long-standing commitments and consistent with our one-China policy,” said the statement.
Taiwan and its democratic government have repeatedly rejected China’s claims of sovereignty over the island. China has protested against the visits of foreign officials to the island, ramping up military drills near Taiwan following the visit of US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi back in August. The United States is also legally bound to provide arms to Taiwan, and the island has strong bipartisan support in Congress.
China’s largest incursion was in protest against the new defense authorization law that was passed in Washington last week. The new law would provide more military assistance for Taiwan, which Taipei has lauded as boosting its national security. China’s foreign ministry said the new law undermines peace and stability in the Taiwan Strait, which Beijing also claims sovereignty over.
The Taiwanese defense ministry thanked Washington for the new legislation, saying that it is a sign of the importance that the US has attached to its ties with the island while strengthening Taiwan’s security. The ministry added that Taipei will be discussing the details of the new law with Washington and “gradually push forward the budget formulation and actual disbursement of the various Taiwan-friendly provisions.”
A senior Taiwanese government official said that there are plans to extend compulsory military service from four months to one year in light of the recent incursion. The announcement will be on Tuesday.
The office of President Tsai Ing-wen said there would be a national security meeting to discuss reinforcing the island’s civil defense and then a news conference on civil defense measures that have yet to be specified.


Prince Harry Faces Potential Multi-Million-Pound Legal Bill in Daily Mail Case
Russia Arrests Nine Over Alleged Ukraine-Linked Attack Plans
Trump Eyes Kim Jong Un Summit as North Korea Sets Tough Terms
Trump Eyes 15% Tariff on Canadian Auto Imports in New Trade Deal
NATO Facilitates Allied Talks on Strait of Hormuz Navigation
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan UK Move With Children
South Korea Estimates North Korea Has Up to 120 Nuclear Warheads
Guatemala Receives 2,300 Mexicans Deported From US
EU’s Von der Leyen Condemns Israel’s E1 West Bank Settlement Plan
Trump Threatens Economic Penalties on Countries Supporting Iran
Russia Strikes Kyiv With Drones and Airstrikes, Targets Military Facilities
Imran Khan Returns to Prison After Islamabad Hospital Visit
Trump Administration Allocates $206 Million for Gaza Peacekeeping Force
Trump Eyes Kim Jong Un Meeting, Cites North Korea’s 57 Nuclear Weapons
Russian Drone Strike on Kryvyi Rih Shopping Centre Kills 15
US Plans ‘Toughest Sanctions in History’ on Iran, Bessent Says 



