The Taliban is looking to seek international recognition as the international community demands that the insurgent group ensure equal rights for Afghan men and women. However, the insurgent group returned to a hardline policy as the Taliban ordered Afghan women to keep their faces covered in public.
Reuters reports the Taliban has returned to a policy that harkens back to their hardline rule Saturday as it ordered women to cover their faces when in public. The group’s supreme leader, Haibatullah Akhunzada, issued a decree that if an Afghan woman did not cover her face outside the house, her father or closest male relative would be punished through either prison time or dismissal from state jobs.
“We call on the world to co-operate with the Islamic Emirate and the people of Afghanistan…Don’t bother us. Don’t bring more pressure, because history is witness, Afghans won’t be affected by pressure,” the minister for Afghanistan’s ministry for the Propagation of Virtue and Prevention of Vice Mohammad Khalid Hanafi said during a news conference.
The insurgent group said that the ideal face covering was the blue burqa, referencing the garment that women were obligated to wear during the Taliban’s hardline rule from 1996 to 2001. To note, most women in Afghanistan wear a headscarf for religious reasons, but in other areas, such as the capital Kabul, most women do not cover their faces.
The UN’s Mission to Afghanistan issued a statement Saturday saying that it would seek a meeting with the Taliban over the issue, saying that it would also consult with others in the international community on the order’s implications.
Afghanistan continues to face domestic terror attacks as back in April. Bombings occurred in two passenger vans that were carrying Shi’ite Muslims in the northern city of Mazar-e-Sharif, killing at least nine people, according to an official.
The blasts followed an explosion at the Shi’ite mosque in the city the week prior, killing 11 people as the country tackles a rise in attacks by Islamic State militants following the West’s withdrawal from the country in August last year. The group has since claimed responsibility for the attack.


Israeli Troops Enter Qusra Homes as Settler Siege Intensifies
US Presses Netanyahu to Condemn West Bank Settler Siege
Canada Faces 50% U.S. Tariffs as Trade Tensions Threaten USMCA Talks
Gérald Darmanin Backs Édouard Philippe for 2027 French Presidential Election
US Eyes Refinery Boost as Trump Seeks Relief From High Gas Prices
Trump Says Kim Jong Un Responded to Outreach After US Scales Back South Korea Military Drills
Trump Orders Major Overhaul of US Navy Shipbuilding
US Weighs New Sanctions Against Brazil Supreme Court Justice Alexandre de Moraes
Israel Warned US of Alleged Iran Plot to Assassinate Trump
Lula Targets Brazil’s Gig Workers as Reelection Battle Takes Shape
U.S. Pressures Nations to Choose Sides in AI Race
Trump Envoys Hold Gaza Peace Talks in Cairo as Israeli Strikes Continue
DNC Makes South Carolina First in 2028 Democratic Primaries
Israeli Troops Enter Qusra Homes as West Bank Settler Siege Continues
Israeli Troops Enter Palestinian Homes as Settler Siege Grips West Bank Village
Trump Imposes New Tariffs on Drone Imports Over US Security Concerns
US Pressures Netanyahu to Condemn West Bank Settler Violence 



