Republican House Speaker Kevin McCarthy came under fire from Congressional Democrats for turning over thousands of hours worth of video footage from the January 6 insurrection. McCarthy was accused of compromising the safety of Capitol Police officers and lawmakers by turning over the footage to right-wing network Fox News host Tucker Carlson.
On Wednesday, Congressional Democrats criticized McCarthy for handing Carlson, a known critic of the Jan. 6 Committee investigation into the insurrection, thousands of hours worth of footage from the incident.
Carlson said on Monday that they received the footage from McCarthy that was described by Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer as “a treasure trove of closely held information” on security at the Capitol complex and plans for the continuity of government in case of an attack.
“The speaker is needlessly exposing the Capitol complex to one of the worst security risks since 9/11,” said Schumer in a letter to fellow senators.
Also on Wednesday, House Democrats held a virtual caucus, according to party leader Hakeem Jeffries. Rep. Bennie Thompson, who chaired the bipartisan Jan. 6 panel, was set to address caucus members at the time.
“When the Select Committee obtained access to US Capitol Police video footage, it was treated with great sensitivity given concerns about the security of lawmakers, staff, and the Capitol complex,” said Thompson in a statement. Thompson noted that access to the footage was limited to lawmakers and “a small handful of investigators” as well as senior staff.
Supporters of former President Donald Trump stormed into the Capitol on January 6, 2021, in an attempt to derail Congress’ certification of Joe Biden’s 2020 election victory after Trump repeatedly claimed the election was stolen due to voter fraud. The Justice Department’s investigation into the insurrection and the efforts by Trump to overturn the 2020 elections continues under Special Counsel Jack Smith.
A DOJ attorney has urged a federal appeals court on Thursday not to block investigators’ access to GOP Congressman Scott Perry’s phone. Perry, who has helped spread false claims of voter fraud, has sought to block the DOJ from accessing the contents of his phone since it was seized last year.


Erdogan Welcomes Extended Iran Ceasefire in Call With Trump
Rubio Pressures NATO Allies as Trump Questions Alliance Commitment
Iran Pushes Nationalist Propaganda as Economic Crisis and War Deepen
Raul Castro Indicted by U.S.: Cuba’s Revolutionary Leader Faces Renewed Scrutiny in 2026
DHS Threatens to Halt International Airport Processing in Sanctuary Cities
Wang Yi to Lead UN Security Council Meeting and Visit Canada Amid Improving China-Canada Relations
Chicago U.S. Attorney Drops Charges Against Broadview Protest Defendants
US Approves $108 Million Hawk Missile System Support Package for Ukraine
Trump-Taiwan Talks Could Reshape U.S.-China Relations
Greenland Protesters Rally Against Expanded U.S. Consulate Amid Trump Arctic Ambitions
Trump Signals Tough Stance on Iran Uranium Stockpile as Nuclear Talks Show Limited Progress
Sheinbaum Warns Morena Officials to Resign Over Corruption Allegations Amid U.S. Pressure
First Trump, now Putin – all roads lead to Xi Jinping
U.S. Removes Francesca Albanese From Sanctions List After Court Ruling
Gaza Ceasefire Failure Risks Permanent Division, U.N. Warns
UN Backs ICJ Climate Ruling Despite U.S. Opposition 



