The United Kingdom announced a further delay in elections in Northern Ireland. The British government said the region’s parties have until January 2024 to form a new government.
On Thursday, the British government said parties in Northern Ireland have until January 2024 to form a new power-sharing government space for talks on the post-Brexit trade agreement to continue. The region has been without a proper government since the pro-British Democratic Unionist Party started a boycott last year in protest at the checks on some goods moving to Northern Ireland from the rest of the UK.
An election back in May did not solve the deadlock and London initially pushed back the deadline to hold new elections in November as negotiations on resolving issues related to the Northern Ireland Protocol between the UK and the European Union restarted.
“I know that an election in the coming weeks will not be helpful or welcome. So I am introducing a bill to create more time for the parties to work together and return to government, as protocol discussions continue,” said British Northern Ireland minister Chris Heaton-Harris in a statement.
Heaton-Harris introduced legislation to extend the deadline, saying that if parties are unable to form a government by January 19, 2024, the British government would have a legal duty to hold an election within 12 weeks. Heaton-Harris added that an election may be called at any time during the period if necessary.
Irish nationalist party Sinn Fein overtook the DUP in the May elections becoming the largest party in Northern Ireland for the first time.
On Wednesday, Heaton-Harris said on Twitter that the UK and the EU discussions on Northern Ireland are still moving forward. EU commission vice president Maros Sefcovic said in a separate message that both sides are focusing on the concerns of the different communities in Northern Ireland.
“Good to see Maros Sefcovic again to discuss the situation in Northern Ireland,” tweeted Heaton-Harris. “We agreed solutions to the Protocol must work for benefit of all communities and businesses in Northern Ireland,” adding that he will be in constant touch with Sefcovic along with British foreign secretary James Cleverly.


World Bank Emergency Funding Demand Surges as 27 Countries Seek Crisis Support Amid Iran Conflict
Marco Rubio Visits India to Rebuild U.S.-India Ties Amid Trade and Geopolitical Tensions
First Trump, now Putin – all roads lead to Xi Jinping
Mexico-EU Free Trade Deal Signals Strategic Shift Away From U.S. Dependence
Taiwan Says No Notice of U.S. Arms Sales Pause Amid Iran Conflict Concerns
Pentagon Expands AI Model Testing as It Seeks Alternatives to Anthropic’s Claude
Trump Announces 5,000 Additional U.S. Troops to Poland Following Nawrocki Election Victory
Trump-China Summit Yields Limited Progress on Trade and Tech Cooperation
Wang Yi to Lead UN Security Council Meeting and Visit Canada Amid Improving China-Canada Relations
Iran-U.S. Talks Continue as Strait of Hormuz and Uranium Dispute Stall Peace Efforts
NIH Infectious Disease Leadership Shake-Up Raises Concerns Amid Ebola, Hantavirus Outbreaks
Trump Sends 5,000 Additional U.S. Troops to Poland Ahead of NATO Talks on Iran War
Trump to Swear In Kevin Warsh as New Federal Reserve Chair Amid Inflation Concerns
Iran Pushes Nationalist Propaganda as Economic Crisis and War Deepen
Trump-Lai Call Remains Uncertain as U.S.-China Tensions Over Taiwan Intensify
Sheinbaum Warns Morena Officials to Resign Over Corruption Allegations Amid U.S. Pressure
Rubio Says NATO Must Benefit All Members Ahead of Sweden Meeting 



