Japan and the Philippines pledged to strengthen security ties amid shared concerns regarding China and tensions in the region. Both countries also signed an agreement that would allow their armed forces to work together on disaster relief efforts.
On Thursday, Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida and Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. had a bilateral meeting in Tokyo, where both leaders pledged closer security ties and signed an agreement allowing the armed forces of both countries to work together on disaster relief operations. The agreement is seen as a step towards a broader deal that would allow Japan and the Philippines to deploy each other’s respective forces on each other’s territories.
“In this year of complex international situations, Japan attaches great importance to cooperation with the Philippines,” said Kishida in his opening remarks during his meeting with Marcos. Both leaders later agreed on establishing a framework that would “strengthen and smooth the process of holding joint exercises.”
The most recent joint exercise Japan held with the Philippines was with the United States back in October. The disaster relief agreement is believed to be a possible prerequisite to establishing a visiting forces agreement that would allow Japan to deploy its forces to the Philippines easily. Tokyo already has such agreements with Australia and the United Kingdom.
A Japanese military presence in the Philippines would also help counter Chinese influence in the region, especially in the South China Sea, which Bejing claims control over the majority of the waters. China’s claims drew the ire of surrounding nations that have overlapping claims, including Manila.
“After our meeting, I can confidently say that our strategic partnership is stronger than ever as we navigate together the rough waters buffeting our region,” said Marcos, adding that he agreed to cooperate more closely with Japan on matters including defense cooperation and maritime security.
Earlier this week, the head of the Philippine coast guard said it has ramped up its presence in the waters by deploying more vessels while conducting more patrols to better protect the country’s maritime territory and its fishermen. PCG Commandant Admiral Artemio Abu said in an interview that the PCG acquisition of more advanced ships has allowed the coast guard to increase the number and duration of patrols in the South China Sea.


Iran-U.S. Talks Continue as Strait of Hormuz and Uranium Dispute Stall Peace Efforts
Trump Warns Iran of Renewed Action as Nuclear Deal Talks Stall
Trump Sends 5,000 Additional U.S. Troops to Poland Ahead of NATO Talks on Iran War
Xi Jinping Orders Full Rescue After Shanxi Coal Mine Gas Explosion Kills Eight
Pentagon Expands AI Model Testing as It Seeks Alternatives to Anthropic’s Claude
Chicago U.S. Attorney Drops Charges Against Broadview Protest Defendants
Wang Yi to Lead UN Security Council Meeting and Visit Canada Amid Improving China-Canada Relations
Taiwan Says No Notice of U.S. Arms Sales Pause Amid Iran Conflict Concerns
Gaza Ceasefire Failure Risks Permanent Division, U.N. Warns
US Approves $108 Million Hawk Missile System Support Package for Ukraine
Trump-China Summit Yields Limited Progress on Trade and Tech Cooperation
First Trump, now Putin – all roads lead to Xi Jinping
Greenland Protesters Rally Against Expanded U.S. Consulate Amid Trump Arctic Ambitions
Israel Faces Global Backlash Over Gaza Flotilla Activists’ Treatment
House Republicans Delay Vote on Iran War Powers Resolution Amid Growing Congressional Debate
Mexico-EU Free Trade Deal Signals Strategic Shift Away From U.S. Dependence
Trump to Swear In Kevin Warsh as New Federal Reserve Chair Amid Inflation Concerns 



