In an effort to counter China’s attempts at encroaching on its maritime territory, the Philippine Coast Guard said it has boosted its presence in the highly contested South China Sea. The boosted presence would also aim to protect fishermen amidst previous incidents of harassment by Chinese vessels.
In an interview on Monday, Philippine Coast Guard chief Admiral Artemio Abu said the coast guard has boosted its presence in the waters, such as deploying additional vessels and conducting more sorties and overflights in order to protect its maritime territory and the fishermen. Abu explained that the PCG’s acquisition of more advanced vessels allowed it to increase the number and duration of patrols in the contested waters.
“We’re making sure that the presence of coast guard vessels is felt by the fishermen in the area,” said Abu, who was appointed by former President Rodrigo Duterte, who sought to pursue ties with China.
“We are strengthening our presence,” Abu continued. “At a moment’s notice, the coast guard vessels will be there because they are exclusively and primarily dedicated for that purpose.”
This follows an incident last month, where the PCG received a report that a Filipino fishing boat was forced out of the Second Thomas Shoal, also known locally as the Ayungin Shoal. The shoal also happens to be within the Philippines’ Exclusive Economic Zone.
The PCG has 25 primary ships that could be used for deployment and patrols. President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has vowed that the Philippines will not cede an inch of its territory to any foreign power, drawing praise from advocates of the 2016 tribunal arbitration that ruled against China’s claims to most of the South China Sea, saying that the claims have no basis under international law.
On Saturday, Indonesia is looking to ramp up talks over a code of conduct in the South China Sea, according to its foreign minister, as the country takes over as the chair for the ASEAN bloc this year. Indonesian foreign minister Retno Marsudi said during a news conference after a meeting with the bloc’s foreign ministers that negotiations over the COC were discussed with the ministers expressing that the talks be concluded as soon as possible.


Trump Announces 5,000 Additional U.S. Troops to Poland Following Nawrocki Election Victory
Trump to Swear In Kevin Warsh as New Federal Reserve Chair Amid Inflation Concerns
Wang Yi to Lead UN Security Council Meeting and Visit Canada Amid Improving China-Canada Relations
First Trump, now Putin – all roads lead to Xi Jinping
Iran-U.S. Talks Continue as Strait of Hormuz and Uranium Dispute Stall Peace Efforts
Xi Jinping Orders Full Rescue After Shanxi Coal Mine Gas Explosion Kills Eight
U.S. Sanctions Tanzanian Police Official Over Human Rights Violations
Trump-Lai Call Remains Uncertain as U.S.-China Tensions Over Taiwan Intensify
Gaza Ceasefire Failure Risks Permanent Division, U.N. Warns
Marco Rubio Visits India to Rebuild U.S.-India Ties Amid Trade and Geopolitical Tensions
Iran Pushes Nationalist Propaganda as Economic Crisis and War Deepen
Israel Faces Global Backlash Over Gaza Flotilla Activists’ Treatment
Taiwan Says No Notice of U.S. Arms Sales Pause Amid Iran Conflict Concerns
Trump Signals Tough Stance on Iran Uranium Stockpile as Nuclear Talks Show Limited Progress
Chicago U.S. Attorney Drops Charges Against Broadview Protest Defendants
NIH Infectious Disease Leadership Shake-Up Raises Concerns Amid Ebola, Hantavirus Outbreaks
Trump Warns Iran of Renewed Action as Nuclear Deal Talks Stall 



