North Korea has completed a test of its military reconnaissance satellite that Pyongyang intends to complete by 2023. The satellite also took images of South Korea’s capital, Seoul and Incheon.
North Korean state media outlet KCNA reported Monday that the North Korean Aerospace Development Administration carried out a test of its military reconnaissance satellite on Sunday. The test was described as “important” as it also marked the “final phase” of the development of the satellite that Pyongyang plans to complete by April 2023. The test took place at the Sohae satellite launching station in Cholsan in the North Pyongan province.
According to KCNA, a rocket was equipped with a “test piece satellite” that included multiple cameras, image transmitters and receivers, a control device, and a storage battery when it was launched to an altitude of 500 kilometers at a “lofted angle.” The latest test aimed to review satellite imaging capabilities, data transmission, and the ground control system.
“We confirmed technical indicators such as camera operating technology in the space environment, data processing, and transmission ability of the communication devices, tracking, and control accuracy of the ground control system,” said the spokesperson for the North Korean aerospace.
On the same day, South Korea’s Yonhap news reported that the KCNA also released satellite images believed to be taken by the test-piece satellite showing downtown Seoul and Incheon.
The satellite test comes amidst North Korea’s record missile launches this year, as Pyongyang is believed to be gearing up for its first nuclear test in five years.
Also on Sunday, North Korea fired two ballistic missiles toward the sea off the east coast of the Korean peninsula, according to South Korean and Japanese officials. The South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff said the launch of two medium-range ballistic missiles were fired 50 minutes apart from each other and were launched from North Korea’s Tongchang-ri area.
The Japanese defense ministry said the missiles flew at an altitude of 550 kilometers and covered a range of 250 kilometers. Japanese vice defense minister Toshiro Ino said the missiles appeared to land outside Japan’s exclusive economic zone, and there were no reports of damage so far.


Rubio Pressures NATO Allies as Trump Questions Alliance Commitment
Gaza Ceasefire Failure Risks Permanent Division, U.N. Warns
Pentagon Expands AI Model Testing as It Seeks Alternatives to Anthropic’s Claude
Trump Warns Iran of Renewed Action as Nuclear Deal Talks Stall
Greenland Protesters Rally Against Expanded U.S. Consulate Amid Trump Arctic Ambitions
Trump-Taiwan Talks Could Reshape U.S.-China Relations
Wang Yi to Lead UN Security Council Meeting and Visit Canada Amid Improving China-Canada Relations
Chicago U.S. Attorney Drops Charges Against Broadview Protest Defendants
U.S. Removes Francesca Albanese From Sanctions List After Court Ruling
Erdogan Welcomes Extended Iran Ceasefire in Call With Trump
Israel Faces Global Backlash Over Gaza Flotilla Activists’ Treatment
Sheinbaum Warns Morena Officials to Resign Over Corruption Allegations Amid U.S. Pressure
Iran Pushes Nationalist Propaganda as Economic Crisis and War Deepen
Taiwan Says No Notice of U.S. Arms Sales Pause Amid Iran Conflict Concerns
UN Backs ICJ Climate Ruling Despite U.S. Opposition
Raul Castro Indicted by U.S.: Cuba’s Revolutionary Leader Faces Renewed Scrutiny in 2026
U.S. Sanctions Tanzanian Police Official Over Human Rights Violations 



