British interior minister Suella Braverman visited Rwanda to discuss the agreement made with the British government to relocate migrants who sought to enter the United Kingdom claiming asylum. Braverman doubled down on the controversial agreement that has since been challenged in the courts.
During the Rwanda visit on Saturday, Braverman met with Rwandan foreign minister Vincent Biruta, telling reporters in Kgali that she agreed to provide additional support for the people that would be relocated from the UK. The deal on migrants with Rwanda is a key part of the UK’s plans to detain and deport asylum seekers who cross the English Channel on small boats.
“Many countries around the world are grappling with unprecedented numbers of illegal migrants and I sincerely believe that this world-leading partnership…is both humanitarian and compassionate and also fair and balanced,” said Braverman in a news conference with Biruta.
The $146 million agreement between Rwanda and the UK was made last year. There are no deportation flights taking place as those who oppose the deal are challenging the law in the courts.
Biruta said the proposals would “offer better opportunities for migrants and Rwandans alike” and that the deal would help with the British government’s aim of combating human trafficking networks. Braverman met with Rwandan President Paul Kagame on Sunday.
Back in December, the high court in London ruled that the policy was lawful. However, the court’s judges noted that the British government failed to consider the individual circumstances of the migrants that it sought to deport. Those challenging the law are filing an appeal to the verdict in April and may go to the British Supreme Court later this year.
Should the policy be upheld by the courts, asylum seekers would need to present their claims in Rwanda. Those who are not granted asylum in Rwanda would be able to apply to stay on other grounds or get resettled in another country.
Last week, a report by Reuters found the UK tendered a contract to transport migrants to partner countries, including Rwanda, worth over $94 million. The tender, dated March 8, is for the “contract for the provision of in-country and overseas escorting services in relation to Migration and Economic Development Partnerships and other immigration services.”
The value of the agreement is over $94 million for a span of three years.


Chicago U.S. Attorney Drops Charges Against Broadview Protest Defendants
Taiwan Says No Notice of U.S. Arms Sales Pause Amid Iran Conflict Concerns
Trump Signals Tough Stance on Iran Uranium Stockpile as Nuclear Talks Show Limited Progress
Trump Warns Iran of Renewed Action as Nuclear Deal Talks Stall
Trump Weighs Taiwan Arms Deal as U.S. Denies Iran War Caused Delays
Wang Yi to Lead UN Security Council Meeting and Visit Canada Amid Improving China-Canada Relations
U.S. Sanctions Tanzanian Police Official Over Human Rights Violations
Xi Jinping Orders Full Rescue After Shanxi Coal Mine Gas Explosion Kills Eight
Israel Faces Global Backlash Over Gaza Flotilla Activists’ Treatment
House Republicans Delay Vote on Iran War Powers Resolution Amid Growing Congressional Debate
US Approves $108 Million Hawk Missile System Support Package for Ukraine
Trump to Swear In Kevin Warsh as New Federal Reserve Chair Amid Inflation Concerns
Rubio Says NATO Must Benefit All Members Ahead of Sweden Meeting
First Trump, now Putin – all roads lead to Xi Jinping
Pentagon Expands AI Model Testing as It Seeks Alternatives to Anthropic’s Claude
Gaza Ceasefire Failure Risks Permanent Division, U.N. Warns
Trump-Lai Call Remains Uncertain as U.S.-China Tensions Over Taiwan Intensify 



