South Korea and the United States started their largest joint military air drills amidst tensions in the peninsula. The joint exercises will take place for five days, despite protests from North Korea.
US and South Korean forces began their joint military air drills Monday, which would take place for five days, with hundreds of fighter planes from both sides staging mock attacks for 24 hours. The drills, called Vigilant Storm, will feature around 240 warplanes carrying out 1,600 sorties, according to the US Air Force in a statement last week, the highest number of missions so far for the annual event.
“South Korea and the US Air Forces will work together with the joint services to perform major air missions such as close air support, defensive counter air, and emergency air operations 24 hours a day during the training period,” said the US Air Force in the statement. “Support forces on the ground will also train their base defense procedures and survivability in case of attack.”
Both countries say the training is necessary to counter threats posed by North Korea as Pyongyang has carried out multiple weapons tests this year. The drills also come amidst fears that North Korea is gearing up for its first nuclear test in five years. Pyongyang has condemned the drills, accusing the two countries of rehearsing for invasion and alleging that the drills are proof of Washington and Seoul’s hostile policies.
This week’s drills will include variants of the F-35 stealth fighter jet from both the US and South Korea, along with other aircraft. Australia will also be deploying an aerial refueling aircraft for the drills.
Amidst the military drills, South Korea is also dealing with the recent Halloween stampede in Itaewon that killed over 150 people. South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol declared a national period of mourning following the incident, which saw dozens of people crushed to death when the crowd surged into a narrow alleyway in the midst of the festivities. Yoon also designated Itaewon as a disaster zone.
Officials said most of the victims were in their 20s, adding that the death toll may rise.


Trump Administration Allocates $206 Million for Gaza Peacekeeping Force
Trump Administration Moves to Strip ABA of Law School Accreditor Status
Ukraine Names Yevhenii Khmara Defence Minister Amid Election Row
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan UK Move With Children
Trump Eyes 15% Tariff on Canadian Auto Imports in New Trade Deal
Imran Khan Returns to Prison After Islamabad Hospital Visit
Australia Summons Israeli Ambassador Over Gaza Aid Worker Death
Guatemala Receives 2,300 Mexicans Deported From US
Israeli Airstrikes Kill 10 Palestinians in Gaza as Ceasefire Diplomacy Stalls
UN Chief Raises Concern Over US Sanctions on ICC Officials
Russian Drone Strike on Kryvyi Rih Shopping Centre Kills 15
US Tightens Cuba Sanctions, Targets Officials and State Entities
Trump Eyes Kim Jong Un Meeting, Cites North Korea’s 57 Nuclear Weapons
Trump Targets 1,000 U.S. Space Launches Annually by 2030
South Korea Estimates North Korea Has Up to 120 Nuclear Warheads
Russia Strikes Kyiv With Drones and Airstrikes, Targets Military Facilities
CK Hutchison Seeks $1.5 Billion From Panama Over Canal Ports 



