Japan, South Korea, and the United States have warned of a response should North Korea proceed with its nuclear test. The warning comes amidst fears that Pyongyang is preparing for its first nuclear test in five years following multiple weapons tests so far this year.
In a joint news conference in Tokyo Wednesday, the deputy foreign ministers of South Korea, Japan, and the US warned that they would issue a coordinated response they described as “unparalleled” to North Korea if it moves forward with its nuclear test.
US deputy secretary of state Wendy Sherman added that Washington would make use of its full military capabilities to protect its allies. Sherman also called on Pyongyang to cease any further provocations while stressing Washington’s commitment to Japan and South Korea.
“And we will use the full range of US defense capabilities to defend our allies, including nuclear, conventional, and missile defense capabilities,” said Sherman.
US State Department spokesman Ned Price said in a statement that Sherman also reiterated that Washington was still willing to seek “serious and sustained dialogue” with North Korea.
South Korean first vice foreign minister Cho Hyun-dong, in his meeting with Sherman, raised concern regarding the new weapons policy in North Korea, which would raise the possibility of its arbitrary use of nuclear weapons. Cho said the new policy in Pyongyang is “creating serious tension in the Korean peninsula.”
Prior to meeting with Cho, Sherman met with Japanese vice foreign minister Takeo Mori and reaffirmed the Japan-US alliance and other shared goals, including North Korea’s denuclearization and the joint response to China’s increasing activities in the region.
Earlier this week, North and South Korea exchanged warning shots as they traded accusations of breaching their maritime borders.
The South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff said it broadcast warnings and fired warning shots to repel a North Korean merchant vessel that crossed the de facto maritime border between the two Koreas, the Northern Limit Line, in the early hours of Monday morning.
North Korea’s military, however, said it fired 10 artillery rounds when a South Korean navy ship breached the sea border, firing warning shots on the pretext of “tracking down an unidentified ship.”


Albanese Says AUKUS ‘Full Steam Ahead’ After Trump Call
US Pressures Netanyahu to Condemn West Bank Settler Violence
U.S. Pressures Nations to Choose Sides in AI Race
Iran Eyes New Development Bank Membership as BRICS Pushes Local Currency Trade
Trump Envoys Hold Gaza Peace Talks in Cairo as Israeli Strikes Continue
Trump Orders Reduction in U.S.-South Korea Military Drills, Citing Kim Jong Un Ties
Israeli Troops Enter Palestinian Homes as Settler Siege Grips West Bank Village
Israeli Troops Enter Qusra Homes as West Bank Settler Siege Continues
Russia-Ukraine Drone Attacks Escalate as Strikes Hit Moscow, Kyiv and Romania
Morocco Arrests 111 in New Ceuta Migrant Crossing Attempt
Israeli Troops Enter Qusra Homes as Settler Siege Intensifies
US CENTCOM Chief Praises USS Abraham Lincoln Crew Amid Mental Health Concerns
Putin Visits Disputed Kuril Island, Sparking Strong Protest From Japan
Israel Warned US of Alleged Iran Plot to Assassinate Trump
AMLO’s Son Says U.S. Revoked His Visa
North Korea Slams US-South Korea Drills, Vows Stronger Nuclear Deterrence
Trump Imposes New US Tariffs on Drone Imports Over National Security Concerns 



