Allergy Partners Provides Tips About Mold in Your Home: What's Reasonable and What Works
ASHEVILLE, N.C., Dec. 15, 2016 -- Allergy Partners provides tips about mold in your home or work place and what would be considered reasonable or excessive amounts that could be dangerous to your health. Molds are part of the natural environment, and can be found everywhere, indoors and outdoors. Outdoor molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees. Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Indoors, mold growth should be avoided.
How do molds affect people?
Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds can produce allergens and irritants. Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people. Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of inhaling molds.
Are there federal regulations or standards regarding mold testing?
Standards or Threshold Limit Values (TLVs) for airborne concentrations of mold, or mold spores, have not been set. Currently, there are no EPA regulations or standards for airborne mold contaminants.
Mold testing and sampling
Is sampling for mold needed?
In most cases, if visible mold growth is present, sampling is unnecessary. Since no EPA or other federal limits have been set for mold or mold spores, sampling cannot be used to check a building's compliance with federal mold standards. Surface sampling may be useful to determine if an area has been adequately cleaned or remediated. Sampling for mold should be conducted by professionals who have specific experience in designing mold sampling protocols, sampling methods and interpreting results. Sample analysis should follow analytical methods recommended by the American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA), the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH), or other professional organization.
Mold Remediation and Prevention:
If you already have a mold problem - ACT QUICKLY. Mold damages what it grows on. The longer it grows, the more damage it can cause.
Who should do the cleanup depends on a number of factors. One consideration is the size of the mold problem. If the moldy area is less than about 10 square feet (less than roughly a 3 ft. by 3 ft. patch), in most cases, you can handle the job yourself.
Here are some useful tips to prevent and clean up mold in your home:
Molds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any substance, providing moisture is present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods. There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; the way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture
1. Fix the source of any water problem or leak promptly to prevent mold growth.
2. Reduce indoor humidity (to 30-60%) to decrease mold growth by:
3. Clean and dry any damp or wet building materials and furnishings within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
4. Clean mold off hard surfaces with water and detergent, and dry completely. Absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles, that are moldy, may need to be replaced.
5. Prevent condensation: Reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces (i.e., windows, piping, exterior walls, roof, or floors) by adding insulation.
6. In areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem, do not install carpeting (i.e., by drinking fountains, by sinks, or on concrete floors with leaks or frequent condensation.
7. Do not paint or caulk moldy surfaces. Clean up the mold and dry the surfaces before painting. Paint applied over moldy surfaces is likely to peel.
8. Absorbent or porous materials, such as ceiling tiles and carpet, may have to be thrown away if they become moldy.
9. If you are unsure about how to clean an item, or if the item is expensive or of sentimental value, you may wish to consult a specialist.
Some situations where you may need professional help to clean up mold in your home:
In order to avoid exposure to airborne mold spores while cleaning, you may want to wear long gloves , goggles and a N-95 respirator mask available in many hardware stores or via the Internet (cost $12-25). If you have health concerns, consult a health professional before starting cleanup.
To find out more information about Allergy Partners, P.A. or to find a location near you, please visit www.allergypartners.com or call 828-277-1300.
"A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home" [EPA 402-K-02-003]
"Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings [EPA 402-K-01-001, March 2001]
PR by: NOVA MedMarket
Contact Information: Amanda Reed, Marketing and Corporate Communications Manager Allergy Partners, P.A. 828-277-1300 phone 828-277-2499 fax email@example.com www.allergypartners.com