Ellen DeGeneres accused of tormenting her house staff; Former employee claimed it was torture to work for the host
Kim Kardashian, “Stranger Things” Cast, Other Celebrities React About Trump Travel Ban
Much of Hollywood is up in arms about Donald Trump’s latest executive order as US president. On Friday, Trump signed an executive order that bans people from Muslim-majority countries from travelling to the US, CNN said. The travel ban garnered mass confusion and outrage over the weekend, more so considering that the executive order affected travel plans of refugees seeking asylum in the US.
Following the travel ban, Hollywood quickly responded online and on the stage to expressed their outrage. Kim Kardashian West, the most followed woman on social media, tweeted a screencap of a Cato Institute study of chances of death by several popular factors, including by a foreign-born terrorist. Highlighting the very slim percentage of getting killed by a foreign-born terrorist, Kardashian West simply wrote the word “Statistics.” Buzzfeed noted that Kardashian West rarely aired her political views on social media.
Alyssa Milano, Mia Farrow, Miley Cyrus, Ellen DeGeneres, Jennifer Lopez, Barbra Streisand, Rihanna, George Takei, Ashton Kutcher, and Kal Penn are some of the many celebrities who were outspoken on social media about the travel ban, which initially banned anyone Iraq, Sudan, Libya, Somalia, Yemen and Iran to come to the US for a reason as simple as vacation, People.com said.
At the Screen Actors Guild Awards, several winners stepped up and used the time usually allotted for their thank-you speeches to say something about the travel ban. When “Stranger Things” won Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series, actor David Harbour, who played Chief Jim Hopper in the series, spoke to the microphone and spoke on behalf of the cast and crew.
“And when we are at a loss amidst the hypocrisy and the casual violence of certain individuals and institutions, we will — as per Chief Jim Hopper — punch some people in the face when they seek to destroy the meek, and the disenfranchised, and the marginalized,” Harbour said.
Since then, a statement from US Secretary John Kelly clarified that green card holders will not be included in the ban. Global uproar still remains.
Trump, meanwhile, insisted that the ban was necessary to protect America. On January 30th tweet, he tweeted, “If the ban were announced with a one week notice, the "bad" would rush into our country during that week. A lot of bad "dudes" out there!”