Puma trials garment-to-garment recycling in football jerseys
German sportswear company Puma is piloting an innovative production process dubbed Re: Jersey that uses old football kits to produce new ones.
The process is aimed at reducing waste and paving the way towards more circular production models
In the Re: Jersey project recycling process, garments are chemically broken down into their main components. Colors are then filtered out and the material is chemically put back together to create a yarn that has the same performance characteristics as virgin polyester.
According to Howard Williams, director of apparel technology at Puma, the company wanted to develop ways to reduce our environmental impact, respect resources, and reuse materials.
Williams added that the insights they gained with the project will help them develop more circular products in the future.
While Puma football kits are already made from 100 percent recycled polyester, Re: Jersey kits are made with 75 percent repurposed football jerseys with the remaining 25 percent coming from Seaqual marine plastic, which is made from marine litter, or end-of-life fishing nets or other plastics used in aquaculture.
The Re: Jersey project products will be worn on-pitch during pre-match warm-ups by Puma Clubs AC Milan, Olympique de Marseille, and Borussia Dortmund. The jerseys will be worn ahead of their respective league fixtures in late April and May, beginning with Manchester City’s match against Watford on 23 April.
The Puma Group, which distributes its products in over 120 countries and employs more than 16,000 people worldwide, aims to meet the growing demand for sustainable products for a better future.