A total of 66 players have decided to opt-out of the 2020 National Football League due to the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic after the NFL opt-out deadline on Thursday, August 6, 4 p.m. ET.
Of the 32 teams, only three had no NFL opt-out while the New England Patriots have the most number of players deciding not to play this year at eight.
The three teams that had none of their players deciding not to play in the 2020 NFL season slated to kick off on September 10 were Pittsburg Steelers, Atlanta Falcons and Los Angeles Chargers.
The eight Patriots who decided not to see action were running back Brandon Bolden, fullback Dan Vitale, offensive tackle Marcus Cannon, offensive lineman Najee Toran, safety Patrick Chung, wide receiver Marqise Lee, linebacker Dont'a Hightower, and tight end Matt LaCosse.
Prior to the opt-out policy, New England had already lost several stars to free agency including quarterback Tom Brady considered as the sports' GOAT, who inked with Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
According to the NFL opt-out policy, players who are considered as COVID-19 high risk will receive a stipend of $350,000 while those who voluntarily decide not to play because of the pandemic will get an advance of $150,000 which will be taken from their 2021 salary.
Super Bowl LIV champions, the Kansas City Chiefs, have three players sitting out the season. They are offensive tackle Lucas Niang, running back Damien Williams and guard Laurent Duvernay-Tardif.
There is no question of how important Duvernay-Tardif is to the Chiefs as he played every offensive snap in their win over the San Francisco 49ers during the Super Bowl LIV.
However, Duvernay-Tardif was the first player who decided not to see action this season because being a graduate of medical school; he is serving as an orderly at a long-term care facility in Montreal in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.
The San Francisco 49ers, on the other hand, have two players joining the NFL opt-out—offensive lineman Shon Coleman and wide receiver Travis Benjamin, who signed a one-year deal with the 49ers just last March.


Republican Lawmakers Urge National Guard Role for World Cup Drone Security
Trump Signs Executive Order Targeting Big-Money College Athlete Payouts
FAA to Pause Reagan National Airport Flights for Freedom 250 IndyCar Race
FIFA Defends Balogun Ban Suspension After Trump Praise Sparks World Cup Controversy
Trump Draws Cheers at Ryder Cup as U.S. Trails Europe After Opening Day
U.S. Eases Iran Team Travel Restrictions Ahead of Seattle World Cup Match
Trump Threatens Stadium Deal Over Washington Commanders Name
Los Angeles World Cup Security Plans: No ICE Immigration Enforcement at FIFA 2026 Matches, Officials Say
Spying, Southampton and economic pressure cooker of the ‘richest match in football’
White House Defends Trump’s FIFA Peace Prize Amid Global Criticism
Marco Rubio Says U.S. Will Block IRGC-Linked Individuals From Iran World Cup Delegation
Trump’s U.S. Open Visit Delays Final, Fans Face Long Security Lines
US Reviewing Visa Denial for Venezuelan Little League Team Barred from World Series
Los Angeles Mayor Says White House Must Reassure Fans Ahead of FIFA World Cup
Trump to Host UFC Event at White House on His 80th Birthday
JD Vance to Lead U.S. Presidential Delegation at Milano Cortina Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony 



