|   Business


  |   Business


4 tips for international students moving to the UK

After you read tons of articles about where should I live UK, you probably think of moving from US to London. Doesn’t sound like you’ll be having the time of your life in the nearest months. However, you are in a better position than people googling how to move to USA from UK or how to be a student in a country they know nothing about. If you were not subscribed to any of the Facebook pages posting British memes, it’s time to go through a few practical tips about how to move to Britain and what London student visa is for. Take a glance at the study abroad London tips we’ve collected for you.

When in London, speak like the British speak

Writing college essays is a pain in the neck, but have you thought about changing your American English to its British version? Whether you’re working on your homework by yourself or looking for assignment writing help, make sure all the papers from your assignment service are written in the respective language. Academic service can do that for you, but you still have to dedicate time to learning the differences by heart. It’s not even the strict British professors to lower your assignment grades but all the British who might not catch the meaning of your regular vocabulary.

Here is a brief list of the most commonly used words you have to learn:

Americans say...

British say...

trailer truck

articulated lorry





drugstore, pharmacy

chemist’s store





gas, gasoline


collect call

reverse charge


road surface



liability insurance

third-party insurance




naughts and crosses



Take care of your daily transportation

Luckily for all the international students coming to London, the city offers multiple transportation perks for the students. So, right after you arrive, you have to get the following cards:

● Student bus pass - a cheaper version of a monthly bus ticket;

● Oyster card - a way to get into the London tube.

Feeling like a daredevil? Try a bicycle. As in any other modern European city, London streets are fully equipped for this type of transport. Your main goal is to deal with the left side traffic :)

Take care of your student visa

You should apply for your visa 3 months before moving to the UK. Below, you can find the general information for beginning the document collection process.


EU, EEA or Swiss nationals

Non-EU, EEA or Swiss nationals


No visa needed

Short-term student visa (6 mon) / Tier 4 general student visa

Documents you have to prepare

Normal passport

● Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS);

● Proof of finances;

● Proof of your English-speaking skills;

● Healthcare surcharge

Depending on your residence country, you might be asked to bring additional documents. Please, check the website of your local UK Embassy to find a respective brochure.

Clarify everything about your funds

Before letting your British adventures begin, make sure that you have enough money to pay for those. Will your domestic bank account work in the same regime when you are abroad? Sometimes, financial transactions will demand high commission; this will be a reason to open another banking account in London. Don’t be afraid to ask for help from your accountant or college friends. Remember, if you are applying for a British visa, you’ll have to prove your ability to cover all the expenses.

If you come to the UK college from any of the EU countries, you’re able to borrow your tuition money from the state. Otherwise, you have to pay the entire sum by yourself. Moreover, your final receipt will be shockingly higher - up to £10,000 – £35,000 a year. In case there is no opportunity to cover at least one semester, try to look for the student scholarships or exchange programs with flexible funding policies.

Other recommendations:

  1. get a SIM-card of a local operator to make cheap phone calls;
  2. try using free online messengers for making calls abroad;
  3. choose the best market close to the apartment you’re renting;
  4. find at least one writing service to help you out in case of emergency;
  5. get help from a local mentor of university coordinator;
  6. buy a raincoat, umbrella, and a pair of water-resistant boots;
  7. prepare yourself for the big city life!

This article does not necessarily reflect the opinions of the editors or management of EconoTimes.

  • Market Data

Welcome to EconoTimes

Sign up for daily updates for the most important
stories unfolding in the global economy.