Menu

Search

  |   Commentary

Menu

  |   Commentary

Search

Fed Hike aftermath Series: Hike probabilities over next 12 months

FOMC increased interest rates again in December for the third and projected three more hikes in 2018. However, debates among policymakers are growing over hikes as inflation remains low. Charles Evans joined Neel Kashkari in opposing another hike in December. The market is also not ready to price three rate hikes for next year. Let’s look at hike probabilities for the next 12 months.  Current FOMC rate is at 125-150 basis points. (Note, all calculations are based on data as of 2nd January)

  • January 2018 meeting: Market is attaching 98.5 percent probability that rates will be at 1.25-1.50 percent, and 1.5 percent probability that rates will be at 1.50-1.75 percent.
     
  • March 2018 meeting: Market is attaching 43 percent probability that rates will be at 1.25-1.50 percent, 56.2 percent probability that rates will be at 1.50-1.75 percent, and 0.9 percent probability that rates will be at 1.75-2.00 percent.
     
  • May 2018 meeting: Market is attaching 40.3 percent probability that rates will be at 1.25-1.50 percent, 55.3 percent probability that rates will be at 1.50-1.75 percent, 4.3 percent probability that rates will be at 1.75-2.00 percent, and 0.1 percent probability that rates will be at 2.00-2.25 percent.  
     
  • June 2018 meeting: Market is attaching 14.1 percent probability that rates will be at 1.25-1.50 percent, 45.6 percent probability that rates will be at 1.50-1.75 percent, 37.5 percent probability that rates will be at 1.75-2.00 percent, and 2.8 percent probability that rates will be at 2.00-2.25.
     
  • August 2018 meeting: Market is attaching 12.8 percent probability that rates will be at 1.25-1.50 percent, 42.7 percent probability that rates will be at 1.50-1.75 percent, 38.2 percent probability that rates will be at 1.75-2.00 percent, 5.9 percent probability that rates will be at 2.00-2.25 percent, and 0.3 percent probability that rates will be at 2.25-2.50 percent.
     
  • September 2018 meeting: Market is attaching 6.8 percent probability that rates will be at 1.25-1.50 percent, 28.7 percent probability that rates will be at 1.50-1.75 percent, 40.3 percent probability that rates will be at 1.75-2.00 percent, 21 percent probability that rates will be at 2.00-2.25 percent, 2.9 percent probability that rates will be at 2.25-2.50 percent, and 0.1 percent probability that rates will be at 2.50-2.75 percent.
     
  • November 2018 meeting: Market is attaching 6.5 percent probability that rates will be at 1.25-1.50 percent, 27.6 percent probability that rates will be at 1.50-1.75 percent, 39.7 percent probability that rates will be at 1.75-2.00 percent, 22 percent probability that rates will be at 2.00-2.25 percent, 3.9 percent probability that rates will be at 2.25-2.50 percent, and 0.3 percent probability that rates will be at 2.50-2.75 percent.
     
  • December 2018 meeting: Market is attaching 4.4 percent probability that rates will be at 1.25-1.50 percent, 20.7 percent probability that rates will be at 1.50-1.75 percent, 35.8 percent probability that rates will be at 1.75-2.00 percent, 27.8 percent probability that rates will be at 2.00-2.25 percent, 9.8 percent probability that rates will be at 2.25-2.50 percent, 1.6 percent probability that rates will be at 2.50-2.75 percent.
     

The probability is suggesting,

  • Since our last review two weeks ago, the probability for rate hikes has marginally eased in the near months and tightened in the longer months, and, the market is still not pricing a third hike for December. Next hike is priced in March with 57.1 percent probability, instead of 60 percent two weeks ago.
  • The market is pricing the second hike for 2018 in September with 64.5 percent probability compared to 59.2 percent probability, two weeks ago.
     
  • The market is pricing a third hike in December with only 39.2 percent probability instead of 33.1 percent probability just two weeks ago.

 

FxWirePro launches Absolute Return Managed Program. For more details, visit http://www.fxwirepro.com/invest

 

 

  • ET PRO
  • Market Data

Market-moving news and views, 24 hours a day >

July 16 16:00 UTC Released

USBean Oil Stocks

Actual

1.766 Blb

Forecast

1.807 Blb

Previous

1.856 Blb

July 16 16:00 UTC Released

USSoy Crush

Actual

159.228 Bushels M

Forecast

159.637 Bushels M

Previous

163.572 Bushels M

January 31 00:00 UTC 240378240378m

ARAnnual Primary Balance*

Actual

Forecast

2016 bln ARS

Previous

Bln AR bln ARS

January 31 00:00 UTC 240378240378m

ARAnnual Primary Balance*

Actual

Forecast

2016 bln ARS

Previous

Bln AR bln ARS

January 22 19:00 UTC 252198252198m

ARTrade Balance

Actual

Forecast

Previous

-1541 %

January 31 00:00 UTC 240378240378m

ARAnnual Primary Balance*

Actual

Forecast

2016 bln ARS

Previous

Bln AR bln ARS

January 22 19:00 UTC 252198252198m

ARTrade Balance

Actual

Forecast

Previous

-1541 %

January 31 00:00 UTC 240378240378m

ARAnnual Primary Balance*

Actual

Forecast

2016 bln ARS

Previous

Bln AR bln ARS

January 31 00:00 UTC 240378240378m

ARAnnual Primary Balance*

Actual

Forecast

2016 bln ARS

Previous

Bln AR bln ARS

January 31 00:00 UTC 240378240378m

ARAnnual Primary Balance*

Actual

Forecast

2016 bln ARS

Previous

Bln AR bln ARS

Close

Welcome to EconoTimes

Sign up for daily updates for the most important
stories unfolding in the global economy.