America’s Roundup: Dollar scales fresh two-decade peak, Wall Street ends lower, Gold hovers near 2-1/2-year low, Oil prices slide $2/bbl, settle at 9-month lows-September 27th,2022
Europe Roundup: Sterling recovers after BoE rate hike, European shares fall, Gold steadies, Oil rises on rebounding Chinese demand, geopolitical risks-September 22nd,2022
America’s Roundup: Dollar dips as U.S. rate hike jitters restrain gains, Wall Street flat, Gold dips , Oil rises 1% on supply concerns, expectations for fuel switching-September 15th,2022
America’s Roundup: Dollar gains ahead of Fed rate decision,Wall Street falls, Gold retreats, Oil prices down, investors expect big Fed rate hike-September 21st,2022
America’s Roundup: Dollar dips ahead of CPI report, Wall Street ends higher, Gold gains , Oil prices settle higher amid supply concerns heading into winter-September 13th,2022
Europe Roundup: Sterling tumbles after Britain's new economic plan, European shares extend falls, Gold hits more than 2-year low, Oil prices down 3% with recession fears in focus-September 23rd,2022
Europe Roundup: Euro falls after inflation data, European shares rise,Gold gains, Oil set for weekly gain as OPEC+ considers output cut-September 30th,2022
America’s Roundup: Dollar flat, sterling rises after week of turmoil, Wall Street ends lower, Gold rise to a one-week high, Oil falls but notches weekly gain as OPEC+ considers output cut-October 1st,2022
Europe Roundup: Pound drops more than 1% as Bank of England steps into bond market , European shares slide, Gold slides to 2-1/2 year low, Oil prices stable as soaring dollar offset by U.S. output outages-September 28th,2022
Europe Roundup: Sterling idles near 37-year low ahead of Fed, BoE meetings, European shares slips in choppy trade,Gold dips, Oil prices up but expected Fed rate hike paints bearish picture-September 20th, 2022
Europe Roundup: Sterling falls to 37-year low against dollar, European stocks fall, Gold dips, Oil steadies but remains on track for weekly decline-September 16th,2022
America’s Roundup: U.S. dollar soars to two-decade high as Fed flags more large hikes, Wall Street slumps, Gold bounces ,Oil prices slide 1% after U.S. Fed raises interest rates-September 22nd,2022
Europe Roundup: Sterling languishes near 37-year low vs dollar European shares falls, Gold dips, Oil falls more than 2% on demand fears-September 19th,2022
America’s Roundup: U.S. dollar advances as markets brace for hefty Fed rate hike,Wall Street ends choppy session higher, Gold falls, Oil edges up as supply woes outweigh demand and rate hike worries-September 20th,2022
America’s Roundup: Dollar rises after unexpected rise in U.S. consumer prices, Wall Street tumbles, Gold dips, Oil dips nearly 1%, reversing earlier gains-September 14th,2022
Europe Roundup: Sterling falls as PM Truss defends economic plans, European shares tumble, Gold falls, Oil rises towards $90 as OPEC+ considers output cut-September 29th,2022
Europe Roundup: Euro falls as gloomy PMIs cloud prospects for future ECB hikes, European shares edge higher, Gold little changed, Oil prices fall as Libya resumes output, global demand outlook darkens-July 22nd,2022
•UK Jun Retail Sales (YoY) -5.8%, -5.3%forecast, -4.7% previous
•UKJ Jun Core Retail Sales (YoY) -5.9%,-6.3% forecast, -5.7% previous
•UK Jun Core Retail Sales (MoM) 0.4%, -0.4% forecast, -0.7% previous
•UK Jun Retail Sales (MoM) -0.1%,-0.3% forecast, -0.5% previous
•French Jul Manufacturing PMI 49.6, 50.8 forecast, 51.4 previous
• French Jul Services PMI 52.1,52.7 forecast, 53.9 previous
•French Jul S&P Global Composite PMI 50.6 , 51.8 forecast, 52.5 previous
• German Jul Manufacturing PMI 49.2, 50.6 forecast, 52.0 previous
• German Jul Services PMI 49.2, 51.2 forecast, 2.4 previous
•EU Jul Manufacturing PMI 49.6, 51.0 forecast, 52.1 previous
•EU Jul Services PMI 50.6, 52.0 forecast, 53.0 previous
•EU Jul S&P Global Composite PMI 49.4, 51.0 forecast, 52.0 previous
•German Manufacturing PMI 52.2, 52.0 forecast, 52.8 previous
•German Services PMI 53.3, 53.0 forecast, 54.3 previous
•German Composite PMI 52.8, 52.5 forecast, 53.7 previous
Looking Ahead - Economic Data (GMT)
•12:30 Canada May Core Retail Sales (MoM) 1.6% forecast, 1.3% previous
•12:30 Canada May Retail Sales (MoM) 1.6% forecast, 0.9% previous
•13:45 US Jul Manufacturing PMI 52.0 forecast, 52.7 previous
•13:45 US Jul Services PMI 52.6 forecast, 52.7 previous
•13:45 US Jul S&P Global Composite PMI 52.3 previous
•17:00 U.S. Baker Hughes Oil Rig Count 599 previous
•17:00 U.S. Baker Hughes Total Rig Count 756 previous
Looking Ahead - Economic events and other releases (GMT)
•No significant events
EUR/USD: The euro declined on Friday as disappointing activity data from France and Germany pushed the single currency lower, a day after the European Central Bank highlighted the path for interest rates would be data dependent. German business activity unexpectedly shrank in July while French manufacturing activity contracted and growth in services slowed, preliminary purchasing managers' (PMI) surveys showed. The euro was already softer, even after the ECB raised rates by a more-than-forecast 50 basis points (bps) on Thursday, as its new tool to shield highly indebted states from soaring borrowing costs failed to impress investors. Immediate resistance can be seen at 1.0256(38.2%fib), an upside break can trigger rise towards 1.0328(30DMA).On the downside, immediate support is seen at 1.0132(14DMA), a break below could take the pair towards 1.0081(23.6%fib).
GBP/USD: he pound fell against the dollar on Friday as fresh data fuelled worries about a slowdown in a UK economy that is grappling with inflation at a four-decade high.Britain's businesses grew at their slowest pace in 17 months in July and inflation pressures eased, according to an industry survey on Friday that might ease pressure on the Bank of England to deliver a big interest rate hike next month. UK retail sales volumes meanwhile fell by 0.1% from May, official data showed, although this was better than the 0.3% monthly fall expected.Immediate resistance can be seen at 1.1998(38.2%fib), an upside break can trigger rise towards 1.2071(38.2%fib).On the downside, immediate support is seen at 1.1917(9DMA), a break below could take the pair towards 1.1772(23.6%fib).
USD/CHF: The dollar declined against the Swiss franc on Friday as disappointing U.S. data has dampened expectations of a large 100 basis point (bps) hike from the Federal Reserve next week. The number of Americans enrolling for unemployment benefits rose for a third straight week last week, while factory activity slumped this month, the newest indications the U.S. economy is slowing under the weight of rising interest rates and high inflation. Traders now put 83.7% odds on the Federal Open Market Committee raising rates by 75 bps on July 27, with a 16.3% probability of a full-point hike. Immediate resistance can be seen at 0.9713(23.6%fib), an upside break can trigger rise towards 0.9741(14DMA).On the downside, immediate support is seen at 0.9642(38.2%fib), a break below could take the pair towards 0.9578(50%fib).
USD/JPY: The dollar dipped against the Japanese yen as disappointing U.S. data has dampened expectations of a large interest hike from the Federal Reserve next week. The number of Americans enrolling for unemployment benefits rose for a third straight week last week to the highest in eight months and a closely watched gauge of factory activity slumped this month, the newest indications the U.S. economy is slowing under the weight of rising interest rates and high inflation. Initial claims for state unemployment benefits rose 7,000 to a seasonally adjusted 251,000, the highest since last November, from an unrevised 244,000 a week .Strong resistance can be seen at 138.08(Daily high), an upside break can trigger rise towards 139.46(23.6%fib).On the downside, immediate support is seen at 136.68 (38.2%fib), a break below could take the pair towards 136.26 (30DMA).
European stocks were seeing modest gains on Friday despite Snap Inc posting disappointing second-quarter results and the latest PMI survey data suggesting slowing growth in the Eurozone.
At (GMT 11:17 ),UK's benchmark FTSE 100 was last trading up at 0.24% percent, Germany's Dax was up by 0.44% percent, France’s CAC was up by 0.35%percent.
Gold prices held to a tight range on Friday as investors avoided big bets ahead of next week’s Federal Reserve policy meeting, with a stronger dollar also keeping prices in check.
Spot gold was little changed at $1,717.79 per ounce by 0901 GMT. Prices on Thursday fell to their lowest level in more than a year at $1,680.25 before ending 1.3% higher.
Oil prices fell on Friday on a weakening global demand outlook and the resumption of some Libyan crude oil output.
Brent crude futures fell $1.02 to $102.84 a barrel by 1023 GMT, while U.S. West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude futures were down $1.08 cents to $95.27 a barrel.
What is a semiconductor? An electrical engineer explains how these critical electronic components work and how they are made