Chinese authorities have revised the death toll from the deadly coal mine gas explosion in northern Shanxi province to 82, down from the initially reported figure of more than 90. Despite the correction, the disaster remains China’s worst mining accident since 2009 and has renewed concerns over coal mine safety standards across the country.
The explosion took place late Friday at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi, one of China’s largest coal-producing regions. Officials explained that the earlier casualty numbers were inaccurate due to confusion at the accident site and unclear worker records immediately after the blast.
According to local authorities, 247 miners were underground when the gas explosion occurred. Rescue teams confirmed that 82 workers were killed, while two people are still missing. Another 128 miners suffered injuries and were hospitalized, while 35 workers escaped without harm.
Guo Xiaofang, head of Qinyuan county where the mine is located, stated that the chaotic conditions after the explosion caused errors in the initial worker count. Authorities have since launched a full investigation into the incident.
The Liushenyu coal mine is operated by Shanxi Tongzhou Coal Coking Group. Following the disaster, officials ordered the shutdown of all four mines owned by the company. Several company executives have also been detained as investigators examine the cause of the explosion and possible safety violations.
Chinese President Xi Jinping instructed authorities to prioritize medical treatment for injured workers, continue rescue operations, and determine the exact cause of the accident. State media also reported calls for stricter workplace safety measures after the tragedy.
China remains the world’s largest coal producer, generating nearly 4.83 billion metric tons of coal last year. The Liushenyu mine alone has an annual production capacity of 1.2 million metric tons. The latest accident is expected to increase pressure on China’s mining industry to strengthen coal mine safety regulations and improve worker protection measures.


First Trump, now Putin – all roads lead to Xi Jinping
Trump Sends 5,000 Additional U.S. Troops to Poland Ahead of NATO Talks on Iran War
Iran-U.S. Talks Continue as Strait of Hormuz and Uranium Dispute Stall Peace Efforts
Russia Launches Massive Missile and Drone Strike on Kyiv Amid Oreshnik Threat
U.S. Military Drill Over Caracas Raises Tensions in Venezuela
Trump Announces 5,000 Additional U.S. Troops to Poland Following Nawrocki Election Victory
Greenland Protesters Rally Against Expanded U.S. Consulate Amid Trump Arctic Ambitions
White House Shooting Reports Prompt Major Security Response in Washington, D.C.
Xi Jinping Orders Full Rescue After Shanxi Coal Mine Gas Explosion Kills Eight
U.S. Sanctions Tanzanian Police Official Over Human Rights Violations
Trump-Lai Call Remains Uncertain as U.S.-China Tensions Over Taiwan Intensify
Chicago U.S. Attorney Drops Charges Against Broadview Protest Defendants
Israel Faces Global Backlash Over Gaza Flotilla Activists’ Treatment
Taiwan Says No Notice of U.S. Arms Sales Pause Amid Iran Conflict Concerns
Rubio Says NATO Must Benefit All Members Ahead of Sweden Meeting
NIH Infectious Disease Leadership Shake-Up Raises Concerns Amid Ebola, Hantavirus Outbreaks 



