The International Criminal Court in The Hague is expected to seek the arrest of Russian officials involved in the forced deportation of Ukrainian children to occupied territories or to Russia. The court is also set to target officials involved in Russia’s bombardment of civilian infrastructure.
A source familiar with the matter said on Monday that the ICC is set to seek the arrest of several Russian officials involved in the forced deportation of Ukrainian children to occupied territories or to Russia as well as its targeting of civilian infrastructure. This would mark the first international war crimes case against Russia since its invasion of Ukraine in February last year.
The arrest warrants may include charges of genocide and are expected to be acquired in the “short term” if the court prosecutor’s request is approved by a pre-trial judge at the court. It remains to be seen which Russian officials the prosecutor might seek to obtain arrest warrants of. Russia is likely going to reject any arrest warrants against any or all of its officials, but the international war crimes prosecution may only further isolate Russia and make it difficult for those who are accused of traveling abroad.
The deputy speaker of the Russian upper house of parliament, Konstantin Kosachyov, said the ICC no longer has jurisdiction in Russia since Moscow withdrew in 2016. Russia has also denied deliberately targeting civilians but has not covered up a program where it brought thousands of Ukrainian children to Russia and has sought to paint such a move as a humanitarian campaign to protect orphans and abandoned children.
However, Kyiv said thousands of Ukrainian children are being brought to Russian families, in Russian camps and orphanages, given Russian passports, and raised to reject their Ukrainian nationality.
Meanwhile, the United Kingdom issued an update to its strategic defense and foreign policies in its Integrated Review. In the update, the UK underlines the challenges posed by China and its growing partnership with Russia as well as Russia’s further cooperation with Iran. The updated review, which was released on Monday, stressed the existential and systematic threat posed by both China and Russia to the UK, Europe, and the wider world order.


Sheinbaum Warns Morena Officials to Resign Over Corruption Allegations Amid U.S. Pressure
Trump Warns of Renewed Military Action Against Iran as Peace Talks Stall
NIH Infectious Disease Leadership Shake-Up Raises Concerns Amid Ebola, Hantavirus Outbreaks
U.S. Sanctions Tanzanian Police Official Over Human Rights Violations
Trump to Swear In Kevin Warsh as New Federal Reserve Chair Amid Inflation Concerns
Greenland Protesters Rally Against Expanded U.S. Consulate Amid Trump Arctic Ambitions
Vance and Rubio Intensify 2028 Republican Succession Battle Amid Trump Approval Slide
Oil Tankers Exit Strait of Hormuz as Trump Signals Possible Iran Deal
US Expands Criminal Investigation Into Nicolas Maduro With New Florida Probe
Trump-Taiwan Talks Could Reshape U.S.-China Relations
Erdogan Welcomes Extended Iran Ceasefire in Call With Trump
Pentagon Expands AI Model Testing as It Seeks Alternatives to Anthropic’s Claude
Xi and Putin Summit in Beijing Signals Stronger China-Russia Alliance
Iran Pushes Nationalist Propaganda as Economic Crisis and War Deepen
China to Buy 200 Boeing Jets, Push for Extended U.S. Trade Deal
Trump Announces 5,000 Additional U.S. Troops to Poland Following Nawrocki Election Victory
Raul Castro Indicted by U.S.: Cuba’s Revolutionary Leader Faces Renewed Scrutiny in 2026 



