Xbox boss Phil Spencer recently said the discussions about the Activision Blizzard acquisition are fair, considering the size of the deal and its potential impact on the gaming industry. But he noted that, for Microsoft, the transaction is more about helping it expand its mobile gaming reach.
The majority of, or at least the most shared, discussions and criticisms of the $68.7 billion transaction had been focused on the concern that Microsoft will eventually remove "Call of Duty" from PlayStation. Many fans are fearing that the deal would give Microsoft the chance to make the first-person shooter franchise exclusive to Xbox consoles and services.
Spencer, once again, addressed those concerns in his appearance at the Wall Street Journal Tech Live last week. Aside from reiterating that "'Call of Duty' specifically" will be available on PlayStation, the Xbox chief added that he would also love to see the game be playable on Nintendo Switch and "many different screens."
Spencer seemingly wanted to expand the conversation, though, noting that debates about the Activision Blizzard acquisition stem from Xbox and PlayStation's rivalry. "But when we think about three billion people playing video games, there’s only about 200 million households that play on console," Spencer said (via VGC). "The vast majority of people who play, do so on the device that’s already in their pocket, which is their phone."
This statement lined up with what Microsoft told UK's Competition and Markets Authority in documents filed earlier this month. The Xbox parent company implied that Activision Blizzard, especially its King subsidiary, would be crucial in establishing the Xbox mobile gaming store. In the same filing, Microsoft also pointed out that the game publisher has had fiscal reports indicating that its mobile revenue and monthly average users have significantly outnumbered the turnouts from PC and console games.
At the same event, Spencer said the concerns over Microsoft's Activision Blizzard deal are "fair" and "warranted." He also revealed that he has been spending plenty of time in "major jurisdictions," where Microsoft hopes to get the transaction approved, including Brussels (where the Europan Commission is headquartered), London, and the US Federal Trade Commission.
Concerned agencies in the mentioned territories have yet to decide on the Microsoft-Activision Blizzard merger. UK's CMA has started its prolonged Phase 2 investigation and recently asked for opinions from the public. The European Commission previously will announce the results of its preliminary inquiry on Nov. 8 and decide whether or not a longer investigation will commence. Meanwhile, it was reported that the FTC could release its decision in November.
Photo by Alexander Cifuentes (@aleexcif) from Unsplash


Anthropic to Brief Financial Stability Board on AI-Driven Cyber Risks
Intuit Raises Full-Year Forecast After Strong Q3 Earnings Despite Stock Drop
Japan Airlines Signs 10-Year Boeing 787 Maintenance Deal With GE Aerospace
OpenAI Expands Globally with First Overseas AI Lab in Singapore
OpenAI Eyes IPO Filing as Early as This Week Amid Rising AI Competition
Nvidia Beats Earnings Expectations as AI Demand Drives Record Growth
Sonova Beats Profit Forecasts Despite Cochlear Implant Weakness
Blackstone and Google Launch AI Cloud Venture, Pressuring CoreWeave and Nebius Shares
Google, Blackstone Launch $5B AI Cloud Venture to Challenge Nvidia and CoreWeave
FTC Antitrust Probe Targets Arm Holdings Over Chip Licensing Practices
SoftBank Shares Surge as OpenAI IPO Buzz and SB Energy Filing Boost AI Optimism
Anthropic Revenue Surge Signals Strong AI Market Momentum in 2026
TrumpRx Expands Discount Drug Access With 600 Generic Medications
Samsung Faces Major Strike Threat as Union Restarts Pay Talks
SpaceX Eyes AI Computing Expansion Ahead of Historic IPO
GameStop Raises eBay Stake to 6.6% as Ryan Cohen Pushes $56 Billion Takeover Bid 



