Real Madrid's Spanish team captain Sergio Ramos made his feelings of bitter disappointment known for their early exit in the Champions League.
Real Madrid had lost to Manchester City on Friday, August 7, on a 4-2 aggregate after losing the second leg in the Round of 16, 2-1, at the Etihad Stadium.
The Madrid defender, who was left watching in the stands as he was serving out his suspension, took to his social media account and said the elimination had left a bitter aftertaste.
The exit from the Champions League ended what Ramos calls an extremely strange season for Madrid.
According to Ramos, he is proud that they had won the Supercopa de Espana in January and went on a streak of 11 wins to lift the La Liga title last month.
However, not being able to make it to the quarterfinals of the Champions League is not good for a club of their stature.
Like Real Madrid, they were set to win everything, Ramos' post continued.
He added that now that they have been eliminated, it is time to rest and prepare their comeback and fight for next season.
Ramos also thanked the fans for their unconditional support to Real Madrid.
It must have been agonizing for Ramos to watch from the stands as fellow defender Raphael Varane conceded two goals to Manchester City after committing uncharacteristic lapses.
The French player had taken full responsibility for the loss after the game, saying that the defeat was his, and he had to accept it. He added that he was sad for his teammates.
The elimination was the first for Zinedine Zidane as a manager in the Champions League.
The former French top player had won it with Real Madrid in his first three tries, in 2015-16 against Atletico, 2016-17 against Juventus and 2017-2018 against Liverpool.
This is the first time since the 2009-10 season that the club had been eliminated two straight times in the Last 16 Round after they were also eliminated in the 2018-2019 season by Ajax.
But just like what Ramos said, Real Madrid is sure to bounce back with the next La Liga season due to kick off on September 12.
Image credit courtesy of Jan Solo/Flickr


DOJ Launches Antitrust Investigation Into the NFL Over Broadcast Restrictions
NBA Returns to China with Alibaba Partnership and Historic Macau Games
Trump Threatens Stadium Deal Over Washington Commanders Name
FIFA Faces Investigation Over 2026 World Cup Ticket Pricing and Seat Allocation Issues
Trump’s U.S. Open Visit Delays Final, Fans Face Long Security Lines
Mexico President Claudia Sheinbaum Reconsiders Early School Closure Plan Ahead of 2026 World Cup
Trump to Host UFC Event at White House on His 80th Birthday
Los Angeles Mayor Says White House Must Reassure Fans Ahead of FIFA World Cup
FIFA Suspends Balogun Ban, Clears U.S. Striker for Belgium World Cup Clash
Native American Groups Slam Trump’s Call to Restore Redskins Name
Trump Urges Hall of Fame Induction for Roger Clemens Amid Renewed Debate
Spying, Southampton and economic pressure cooker of the ‘richest match in football’
JD Vance to Lead U.S. Presidential Delegation at Milano Cortina Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony
FBI Faces Historic Security Challenge Ahead of 2026 FIFA World Cup
Republican Lawmakers Urge National Guard Role for World Cup Drone Security
US Seizes Nearly 400 Illegal World Cup Streaming Domains in Global Anti-Piracy Crackdown 



