Ukrainian forces have made substantial progress on the ground for the first time in six months as it advances on in the battle for the key city of Bakhmut. The gains also come as Ukraine has secured more weapons from its Western allies.
On Monday, Kyiv celebrated the advances its forces made into Bakhmut for the first time in six months as the battle for control of the city continues. The Ukrainian military has been pushing Russian forces back in and around Bakhmut since last week in what would be the first significant offensive since reclaiming Kherson back in November.
“The advances of our troops along the Bakhmut direction is the first success of offensive actions in the defense of Bakhmut,” said Ukrainian Colonel General Oleksandr Syrskyi in a statement on the Telegram messaging platform. “The last few days have shown that we can move forward and destroy the enemy even in such extremely difficult conditions. We are fighting with fewer resources than the enemy. At the same time, we are able to ruin its plans.”
In an update on Monday evening, Ukraine’s army General Staff said that Russian forces were pressing efforts with heavy shelling to make gains on the ground. However, they said Russian forces failed to advance around the village of Ivaniske in western Bakhmut.
The updates come as Ukraine is highly expected to launch a counteroffensive with the new tanks and armored vehicles provided by its Western partners since the start of the year. Ukraine is looking to reclaim the occupied Ukrainian territories Russia claims to have annexed last year.
The UK also became the first country to provide Ukraine with long-range cruise missiles, following the pledge that they would be sending long-range drones. The government of British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak also said it would be training Ukrainian pilots to use the F-16 fighter jets soon. French President Emmanuel Macron also said on TF1 television in France that he was open to training Ukrainian pilots but that he and Zelenskyy have not discussed sending warplanes.
The British defense ministry on Tuesday also echoed that Ukrainian forces have made tactical gains in Bakhmut despite some advances by the Russian Wagner mercenary group in the city.
“As well as progress to the south of town, Ukrainian assaults have forced back the Russian frontline to the north-west of the town. This has likely enabled Ukrainian forces to re-establish more secure use of the key 0506 supply road,” said the ministry.
Photo: dsns.gov.ua/Wikimedia Commons(CC by 2.0)


Israel Faces Global Backlash Over Gaza Flotilla Activists’ Treatment
Xi and Putin Summit in Beijing Signals Stronger China-Russia Alliance
Trump Announces 5,000 Additional U.S. Troops to Poland Following Nawrocki Election Victory
Sheinbaum Warns Morena Officials to Resign Over Corruption Allegations Amid U.S. Pressure
U.S. Sanctions Tanzanian Police Official Over Human Rights Violations
Trump Delays Iran Strike as Peace Talks Continue, Markets Watch Strait of Hormuz Closely
House Republicans Delay Vote on Iran War Powers Resolution Amid Growing Congressional Debate
Georgia GOP Senate Primary Heads to Runoff as Collins and Dooley Advance
Oil Tankers Exit Strait of Hormuz as Trump Signals Possible Iran Deal
DHS Threatens to Halt International Airport Processing in Sanctuary Cities
UN Backs ICJ Climate Ruling Despite U.S. Opposition
Trump-Taiwan Talks Could Reshape U.S.-China Relations
Gaza Ceasefire Failure Risks Permanent Division, U.N. Warns
Trump Warns Iran of Renewed Action as Nuclear Deal Talks Stall
U.S. Removes Francesca Albanese From Sanctions List After Court Ruling
Vance and Rubio Intensify 2028 Republican Succession Battle Amid Trump Approval Slide
Raul Castro Indicted by U.S.: Cuba’s Revolutionary Leader Faces Renewed Scrutiny in 2026




