FxWirePro: Norwegian Krone near 3-month peak as crude oil prices rally
Monday, June 1, 2020 11:58 AM UTC
- The Norwegian Krone advanced to a near 3-month peak as the greenback plunged against a basket of currencies.
- The dollar index slumped as optimism over economies opening up again boosted risk appetite, amid worries over riots in the United States and unease over Washington’s standoff with Beijing.
- Moreover, the Norwegian currency was also supported by a rally in the crude oil prices.
- Crude oil prices jumped to multi-month peaks as the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries considered meeting as soon as this week to discuss whether to extend record production cuts beyond end-June.
- International benchmark Brent crude was trading 1.3 percent higher at $38.12 per barrel by 1153 GMT, having hit a high of $38.28 earlier, its highest since March 11. U.S. West Texas Intermediate was trading 0.7 percent up at $35.44 a barrel, after rising as high as $35.87 earlier, its highest since March 11.
- USD/NOK trades down at 9.6980, having touched a low of 9.6134 earlier, its lowest March 11.
- Immediate resistance is located at 9.8026, close above could take it till 9.8491.
- On the downside, support is around 9.6000 break below could take it till 9.5868.