FxWirePro: Norwegian Krone hovers towards 1-week low as oil plunges
Friday, May 22, 2020 10:59 AM UTC
- The Norwegian Krone plunged to a 5-day low as the oil prices fell after China omitted 2020 growth target.
- Crude oil prices declined after China failed to set an economic growth target for 2020, stoking concerns about the fallout from the coronavirus pandemic.
- International benchmark Brent crude was trading 5.3 percent lower at $34.07 per barrel by 1050 GMT, having hit a high of $36.96 on Thursday, its highest since March 11. U.S. West Texas Intermediate was trading 6.7 percent down at $31.58 a barrel, after rising as high as $34.64 on Friday, its highest since March 11.
- Moreover, greenback's extended rebound against a basket of currencies further dented the bid tone around the Norwegian currency.
- USD/NOK trades 1.3 percent up at 10.0546, having touched a low of 9.8784 the day before, its lowest March 12.
- On Thursday, the pair plunged to a 2-1/2 month trough but retraced to close 0.3 percent higher at 9.9340.
- Immediate resistance is located at 10.1211, close above could take it till 10.1482 (55-EMA).
- On the downside, support is around 9.8999 break below could take it till 9.8774.